3.30.2009

Bread Rising Baskets

Ever since reading the Bread Bible and Breads from the LaBrea Bakery, I wanted bread rising baskets. These baskets are not necessary in making artisan bread. I have had wonderful breads that were risen the more traditional way. For some reason---I just had to have them. Unfortunately, their cost was prohibitive---I think they were in the $30 range---each. So I made due with what I had.
The idea behind them is simple: on the dough's final rise, you place it in a well floured basket and cover it with a cloth. The baskets are made from willow branches that have their bark removed. The loose construction allows air to circulate and give the dough a better rise.
Once the dough reaches the top, you then dust it with cornmeal and carefully invert the dough onto a pizza peel. You then bake your bread on a pizza stone until done. I have used simple recipes from the bread machine, to very complex ones that take 3 days to "build".
Last summer I gave in and purchased my bread rising baskets at SurLaTable in Carmel, California. We were on a quick vacation and I splurged. I am so very glad I finally did.
One thing is for certain, no matter what the recipe, the bread rising basket makes a very beautiful loaf of bread.

2 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I want one! I want one! Beautiful bread!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Update: I bought one! Now I just have to wait till it cools down!

Your cakes are amazing!