3.26.2009

Pizzelles

Please welcome Violet...my guest blogger for the day. Violet is going to show you how to make some Pizzelles...a very easy cookie to make. Thanks Violet for sitting in for me---W
I'm not the best cook in world, my family often calls me Miss Measure because I hardly ever make something without mis-measuring at least one of the ingredients. The only exception to the rule is with cookies. I can generally make a batch of cookies, even difficult ones, without messing them up too badly.

I love all kinds of cookies, but one of my favorites is Pizzelles, because they are very simple to make and they look really impressive. Pizzelles are Italian butter cookies, cooked in a waffle iron. The dough is similar to a quick bread dough in that it is sticky like a batter doesn't form a ball like a normal cookie dough.

Pizzelle irons work on the same premise as a waffle iron, they are easy to use and readily available at most cooking stores. They're are pretty much plug and play. Once the iron heats up a light will turn on, load the iron with a rounded tablespoon of dough in each compartment shut the iron and wait for the Pizzelles to cook. The light will turn on again when the Pizzelles are done. Be careful when you use it, because some irons run hot and will burn the Pizzelles if you leave them in for the full cooking time. If you find that your Pizzelles are black when the light turns on, then take them out early.

In order to get a complete circle you need to over fill the molds a little so the dough reaches to the edges. The Pizzelles will have extra dough on the edges, but there's a way to fix that.

As you can see to remove the Pizzelles from the iron I use a fancy Italian tool called a butter knife. I'm sure there is some special way to do it, but I've found that butter knives work best because they are small and don't tear the cookies.

If you want to clean up the edges so that the Pizzelles are a perfect circle, while the cookies are still warm, carefully cut the extra edges off with kitchen shears.

And in case you wondered the extra edges make a super delicious snack!


Pizzelles-- simple to make, look impressive, super delicious!

2 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

My mom is an expert Pizzelle maker. She's been making them for over 25 years now. We just love them. My kids like them sandwiched between a layer of ice cream. She makes chocolate ones too - Yum!

I keep telling my Mom that she needs to come over so I can do a blog post with her making them. I think I just might have to remind her of that.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.