4.25.2009

The Littlest Petshop...

Today is a special day...my dear friend Valerie turns 11 years old. Valerie is funny, great to hang out with and really awesome at Wii!! She has lived next door to us since she was about 2 years old, my first memory of her is her constant asking me "What's your Name?"
A couple of weeks ago she was playing Wii while I happened to be making cupcakes. I asked her if she would like me to make her birthday cake, knowing that was coming up quickly. After checking with her parents and getting a design theme figured out ---we settled on the octopus from the "Littlest Petshop" line of toys.
Our octopus proved to be a challenge to make entirely in fondant----so she was first constructed in foil and then covered in fondant. Other than the foil she is completely fondant and edible. Valerie's cake request was simple, vanilla cake, vanilla icing. We decorated the cake with corresponding polka dots and a magenta banner.
Happy Birthday Valerie---you are one in a million!

2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Hi,

Your comment on Lysa's blog about your daughter's friend moving away tugged at my heart. We live in Charlotte, and my daughter's best friend moved to Seattle. I will never forget their goodbye in the parking lot the last day of school. Tears flowed all the way home. Tears flowed for days. Words did not seem to soothe or heal. I simply prayed and asked the Lord to fill that empty place. He so faithfully provided a new friend, a wonderful friend, a kindred spirit...not at all the same kind of young woman, in fact very different. But she filled that empty place.

God is good. I pray for your daughter that God will fill that empty place, first with His Presence and His Love and one day with a new friend.

Blessings,

Wendy

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I am praying for your daughter...

Having a friend move away is so so hard. Maybe you could help her establish a savings account to travel and see her friend??? I did this with one of my kids and it proved to be a fun adventure.

I scrolled through your blog site and oh my. You don't make cakes and cupcakes my friend--- you make absolute works of art.

I've never seen such beautiful sugar in all my life. Do you do mail order? Is that even possible? I'd love to order a cake from you for my son's graduation party. If not, do you know of someone in Charlotte, NC who can even come close to your talent?

You amaze me!!!

Hugs to you~